||(413) 572 - 5371
|Physical Science Department
|Westfield State College
Westfield, MA 01086-1630
Juniata College, Huntingdon, PA, BS, Biochemistry, 1984.
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, MS, Chemistry, 1985.
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, Ph.D., 1989.
Electrically Conductive Polymers and Polymer Composites from High
- 1996 -present
- Assistant Professor, Physical Science Department,
Westfield State College
- Spring, 1996
- Adjunct Professor, Departments of Chemistry and
University of North Carolina-Asheville, Chemistry Department, Mars Hill
- 1994 - 1995
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Chemistry Department,
University of North Carolina - Asheville
American Chemical Society, member, division of Chemical Education
Chair-Elect, Connecticut Valley Section (2000)
American Chemical Society Presentations
National Meetings, Chemical Education Symposia
Encouraging Creative Processes in Teaching Organic Synthesis: Make That
Molecule!, San Francisco, CA, March, 2000.
General Chemistry II Linked with a Biology Course, Boston, August, 1998.
Enlivening a Lecture Course with Case Studies and Debates as Learning
Tools, Orlando, August, 1996.
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- "Chelating Copolymers Containing Photosensitive Functionalities,"
Kumar, G. S.; DePra, P.A.; Neckers, D.C. Macromolecules 1984, 17,
- "Chelating Copolymers Containing Photosensitive Functionalities, 2,"
Kumar, G.S.; DePra, P.A.; Neckers, D.C. Macromolecules 1984, 17,
- "Uncatalyzed Group Transfer Polymerization," DePra, P.A.; Sogah, D.Y.
U.S. Patent Filed July 8, 1986, U.S. Serial Number 883320.
- "The Electrochemical Doping of the High-Strength High-Modulus Polymer
Poly(p-phenylenebenzobisthiazole): A New Conductive Material," DePra,
P.A. et al., ACS Great Lakes Regional Meeting, Chicago, IL, June 1987.
- "Conductive Polymers Based upon Rigid-Rod Ultrahigh-Modulus
Macromolecules. Electrochemical Doping of
Poly(p-phenylenebenzobisthiazole-2,6-diyl) (PBT)," DePra, P.A.;
Gaudiello, J.G.; Marks, T.J. Macromolecules 1988, 21, 2295-2297.
- "Electrically Conductive Molecular Composites Based upon PBT and
Metallophthalocyanines. Processing, Microstructure, and
Electrochemistry," J. Giesler, P.A. DePra, T.J. Marks, and S.H. Carr,
Materials Research Society Fall Meeting, 1988. Symposium: The Materials
Science and Engineering of Rigid-Rod Polymers.
- P.A. DePra, J.M. Giesler, T.J. Marks and S.H. Carr, Electrically
Conductive Molecular Composites Based upon PPBT and
Metallophthalocyanines, Processing, Microstructure, and Electrochemistry,
Mats. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. 1989,134, 673 .
- J. M. C. Redman, J.M. Giesler, W. R. Romanko, S. H. Carr, P.A. DePra,
T.J. Marks, H.O. Marcy and C. R. Kannewurf, Microstructure and Charge
Transport in Hybrid Metallophthalocyanine/Rigid Rod Polymer Fibers, Synth.
Met. 1989, 29, F25-F30.
- "Electrically Conductive Polymers and Polymer Composites from High
Performance Materials," DePra, P.A. Ph.D. Thesis, Northwestern
- "Catalyzed Silicon-Mediated Living Polymerizations, Structure Control,
Catalyst Design and Mechanisms." Sogah, D.Y.; Hertler, W.R.; Dicker,
I.B.; DePra, P.A.; Butera, J.R. Makromol. Chem., Macromol. Symp. 1990,
- "Business Information Flier," DePra, P.A., Ed. and primary author. 37
issues, published for DuPont use, Brevard NC, May 1991 - January 1993.
- "Tabular Grain Photosensitive Elements Comprising Titanium Carboxyl
Compounds," DePra, P.A.; Moguel, K.D.; Keyes, M.P. U.S. Patent 5 236
- "Electrically Conductive Polymers and Polymer Composites from
High Performance Materials via Electrochemical Doping Techniques," DePra,
P.A.; Marks, T.J., manuscript in preparation.
- "Encouraging Creative Processes in Teaching Organic Synthesis: Make
That Molecule!," DePra, P.A., manuscript in preparation.
Workshops and Training
The Elements of Communication: A Public Relations Workshop for Local
Leaders (May 14-16, 1999), sponsored by the national American Chemical
Microscale Organic Chemistry, National Microscale Chemistry Center
(June 20-25, 1999; 40 Laboratory Contact Hours).
Undergraduate Curriculum Reform: Its Effect on High School and College
Teaching, at UMass - Lowell, 11/3/97.
Using Science to Solve Crimes, Memphis, TN, Chautauqua Program, 6/98.
Chemistry with Calculator-Based Labs, 1/97.
Sponsored by the CVS-ACS and the Five-Colleges Partnership.
Biennial Conference on Chemical Education, Waterloo, Ontario, August,
Chemistry Education Research - An Introduction to the Nuts and Bolts of
Teaching Chemistry Explosively
Monty Python meets Newton's Apple: Invigorating Chemistry with
Programs for Audiences of all Ages
Thiokol Rubber: A Vial Lab !!
Art in Chemistry: Natural Dyes and Origami
Chemistry for the Technologies, Make and Take Demos (Doc & Funky)
ChemQuest: Learning High School Chemistry with Inquiry and Technology
Do It Yourself Weird Science
Demonstrations and Student Experiments in Chemistry for the
Love of Science and Sciencing (Irwin Talesnick)
Project Kaleidoscope Regional Colloquium: Women in Science and