Ocean Water Assessment:
1. What are the salt levels in the coastal area closest to your school?
2. What do ppm and ppt stand for?
3. If the ocean salt level is 20ppt in Florida, how could this concentration be replicated in a 1L solution (show all calculations)?
4. If a shipping company was checking the market for possible coatings for the exterior hull of their large sea-going vessels, based on your data, which of the coatings you have studied would you recommend? Are there more than one which would be suitable? Which would you say are unsuitable?
5. After the solutions evaporated, were any crystals formed on the slides? Did the number and/or size of the crystals increase or decrease as the test progressed? What are the crystals? Draw a typical crystal formation in the space below.